COVID-19 is a new disease and there is limited information regarding risk factors for severe disease, but based on currently available information these are the risk groups:
- Older adults
- People who have severe underlying medical conditions - like heart/lung disease or diabetes
- People with moderate to severe asthma
- People with severe obesity (body mass index [BMI] of 40 or higher)
- People with chronic kidney disease undergoing dialysis
- People with liver disease
- People who are immunocompromised
If you are at higher risk for serious illness from COVID-19 because of your age or because you have a serious long-term health problem, it is extra important for you to take actions to reduce your risk of getting sick with the disease.
- Stay home if possible.
Wash your hands often.
Take everyday precautions to keep space between yourself and others (stay 1.5 - 2 meters away from eachother).
Keep away from people who are sick.
Clean and disinfect frequently touched services.
Call your healthcare professional if you have concerns about COVID-19 and your underlying condition or if you are sick.
Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention